For Foodies on a budget
January can be a pretty worrisome month you know. You just came from the festive season and the groceries you thought would last all through to the end of month are now running out. You would like to have a decent and hearty home-cooked meal, after all those take-aways you had over the festive but your bank account disagrees with your desires.
Here’s the good news: for as little as P50 you beat the JanuWorry blues and can cook a scrumptious meal – Pasta and Meatballs in a Tangy Tomato Sauce.
Here’s what you will need:
500g Minced Meat
1 Pack of Pasta of your Choice
1 Can Peeled & Diced Tomatoes
1 Diced Onion
4 Finely Chopped Garlic Cloves
Salt & Pepper
Cooking Oil (preferably Olive Oil)
1. Season the minced meat with salt, pepper and those spices, some Peri-Peri or crushed Chilli is also really good. Break the egg and mix with your hands until thoroughly mix.
2. Using your hands form balls the size of golf balls, don’t worry they probably won’t be the same size don’t beat yourself up unless of course you are OCD like me then you can have them the same size. Put then in the fridge for about 20 to 30 mins to firm them up.
3. Bring water to a boil in a pot and cook your pasta for about to 8 to 10 minutes. There’s usually instructions on the pack follow those. Remember keep staring your pasta and season with salt.
4. Heat up your oil in a pan and fry your meatballs until golden brown, then toss in the garlic and onions when the onions are translucent reduce the heat and pour in the can of tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins, keep seasoning while it’s simmering and remember to always taste.
5. Lastly introduce the pasta to the Meatballs and sauce and VOILA! You have a scrumptious meal at a really low budget.
By: Chef Musa Mhlasi